Friday 23 March 2012

The Hunger Games



I don't think I've actually mentioned it much on this blog before (I first read the books two years ago, pre-blog), but I absolutely love The Hunger Games and last night I went to see an advanced screening of the film. It was officially released in the UK today though and so I thought it was time for a Hunger Games post!

It was amazing - It wasn't as good as the book (I think that'd probably be impossible to achieve) but it was definitely very impressive and I am already counting down the days for Catching Fire to be released - it's safe to say that I wasn't disappointed! The cinematography was really different and edgy - I loved some of the effects, especially during the tracker jacker scene. It felt as though we were right there in the Games.

There were a few differences from the book which was to be expected - I was waiting for some things that didn't actually appear in the film and some things were slight altered (such as the mockingjay pin story), but that wasn't a massive problem. I think that having read the book gave me much better insight into the story and how the characters felt, but that's not to say that the actors didn't do them justice! 
I think that the whole cast was absolutely fantastic in both their appearances (the costumes and make-up were great) and their acting skills - Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss was incredible - she had just the right amount of raw emotion and attitude. I loved Haymitch, his humour was fantastic!

There were some really sad parts - especially during Rue's scene, but more so for me at the beginning. I found the first scenes to be heartbreaking (though this was probably a mixture of my excitement overwhelming me too!) - all of the characters connected so well together, just like in the book. I loved how Katniss and Peeta's relationship was portrayed on screen and I think that it made me like them together a lot more than I did at first, their chemistry was great.

Overall, it was really, really, really enjoyable and I urge you all to go and see it, but of course - read the book first! Here's the details of it:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Paperback 454 pages


Published January 5th 2009 by Scholastic
(First published September 14th 2008)

Description via Goodreads

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

8 comments:

  1. I read this a while back too-I'm planning to go to the film in the morning where it won't be totally mobbed--though there might be an army of shrieking kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm nervous for all the things they altered (the pin thing bugs me - although I suppose I'll have to see it for myself) but I'm relieved to hear most people enjoyed it.

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it tonight and it was amazing!! They made a great job! :) Katniss kicks butt! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure everyone went to see this on the Friday...Glad you really enjoyed this! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much hype surrounding THG now, I think I will definitely have to read the book first before watching the film :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you liked the movie! it's hard sometimes when you see a movie based on a book you loved. That's why I usually do it the other way around, see the movie first then read the book.

    Only two times I have been disappointed was with A Walk to Remember - movie is so much better than the book - and The Fellowship of the Ring - I'm not saying the book isn't awesome because it probably is, I'm just saying I'm not a reader of high fantasy like that, so for me it was was rather unenjoyable and I liked the movie better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so want to see this but I think I'll try and read the book first compare which is better :) Glad it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored the movie. I think we could not have asked for a better adaption than we got to be quite honest. I need more. UGH CATCHING FIRE COME OUT ALREADY!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately this is an award and tag free zone - Whilst I appreciate the thought, I simply don' have the time to pass them on.

Please feel free to leave a reply, I read and appreciate them all!